What's a wigger?

>> Friday, July 25, 2008

When my stepkids were here in March, my stepson was swearing a lot in front of his younger siblings and calling my 11 year old daughter "b**tch" a couple times. We found out about it after the fact. That was bad enough.

My stepkids were here again last week and are now back at their mother's house. My three year old picked up "shut up" from my stepson on this latest trip. It wasn't nice to hear her regurgitating that back at me yesterday, but that's not the bad part though. Today, we are driving through the downtown area of a small town near ours and I hear my 11yo daughter say "that's a wigger" about a young man walking by. I wasn't sure what it meant so I asked her. She told me what her older sister (my stepdaughter) taught her the word meant when she was here last week. I was disgusted.

The "W" stands for white and "igger" stands for what is considered derogatory by many...that n word that is all over the news again.

Is this acceptable with the younger crowd or is it derogatory? Regardless, I didn't like the word and told my daughter why I didn't like it and she wasn't to call anybody that again. She's 11. I'm not sure if it is considered derogatory to the younger crowd though. I just know it makes me uncomfortable.

All this language my kids pick up when my teenaged stepkids come over. What's it going to be next time? Moving on up to whipping out a bottle of Boones Farm and passing it around? Geez.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP