Second Hand Smoke & Kids

>> Friday, July 11, 2008

I have asthma and the triggers are varied. It can be an odor, exercise, or it may just be time to take my medicine again.

I was in line at a drive-thru a few days ago with my window down. I was next in line to place my order. The man in front of me had his window down with his arm hanging out of his window - holding a cigarette. Despite the distance between his cigarette and me in my car, despite the fresh air in between his car and mine, I got a whiff of cigarette smoke and had an asthma attack right there. That was all it took. Hey, if the food doesn't kill me, some stranger's cigarette will!

Now imagine if you are a primary caregiver or babysitter who is smoking around children. One whiff of smoke is all it takes. It doesn't have to be the actual smoker smoking at that time either. I can walk through an area where somebody had smoked previously and have an asthma attack. I can smell cigarettes on a person (let's face it, smokers smell like smokers) and have an asthma attack. Are you doing this to your own children? If you are a babysitter, are you doing this to the kids who you are entrusted to care for and protect?

Something to think about. As an adult, you have the right to make the choice on whether to smoke or not but children have very little say in what you choose to do or what they are forced to inhale because of it. I hope you choose to protect their lungs from current and future damage.

2 comments:

Anonymous July 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

Great post, I feel very agitated on this very subject. Being an ex-smoker I also feel somewhat guilty as well.
Smokers just have no regard for those around them, I see it all the time. Just yesterday I was at a parade with my daughter and there was some dumb ass women about 15 feet away who was not only smoking around her children but her stench was blowing downwind towards us and other nearby children.
It just goes to show how selfish some people can be. I hope that some kid grows up one day and sues their parents for subjecting them to the poisoning of cigarette smoke.

Syn July 11, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

I've thought the same thing. I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. My father was a smoker and now most of his kids (there are 8 of us) are full of allergies and asthma. Most of us have to carry inhalers around with us. I think it is a very unfair and harmful thing to do to your kids.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP