Feeding Picky Kids

>> Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting kids to eat can be a job on its own, especially my kids. They are the pickiest kids I've ever known (guess they got that from me, lol). Sometimes it takes changing things up a bit or sneaking things in to get them to eat.

For instance, I will chop up spinach really small and throw it in a spaghetti sauce. As long as they don't know "what that dark stuff is" (it's spices right?), then they will eat it.

Making it fun is another way I get my kids to eat. This "egg in the hole" was something I started doing with my stepdaughter 12 years ago. I would take a small cup (cookie cutters would make it even more fun) and I'd cut the middle out of a piece of bread. Then I would butter both sides and throw it in a pan. I would crack a single egg right into the hole and fry it up. After waiting for the bread to brown on one side, I'd flip it and do the other side. What you get is what is in the picture at left. I started doing this for my toddler and now she loves eggs cooked any way. This was like the step in between "yuck" and "yum, momma."

Another thing that I do with all the kids is flip the dinner. My kids call it "breakfast for dinner" (guess they saw it on Hannah Montana or something like that my oldest said) but I will feed them breakfast for dinner. Who says breakfast is only for the morning? Tonight for dinner, I made hash browns, bacon, french toast, and blueberries rolled in pancakes. They all ate it right up - no fussing, no complaining. All I heard was "can I have more?" That's a lot better than threatening them to eat another bite:)



Now I have to find more ways to hide the veggies:)


0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP