Very Important Medication Reminder

>> Tuesday, May 20, 2008

After today's experience with my doctor and pharmacy, I wanted to remind everybody to check their medical and pharmacy records to make sure your medication allergies are noted. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic for me today that I didn't realize was in the family of meds that I am allergic to. I found out after I had taken the first double dose. My pharmacy didn't catch it because when my records were transferred when we moved here (same pharmacy chain, different location), for some reason my allergies didn't transfer. I KNOW I wrote this down in my initial paperwork when I started seeing this doctor and I KNOW when we had a problem with the pharmacy before with records that I had mentioned this to them. I don't go to the doctors that often so this sticks out clearly in my mind. I can remember clearly even what the nurse looks like who was updating my records on her computer as I talked. She went through a whole slew of questions for me and I know I made them aware of my allergies.

I've had problems with doctors prescribing meds for me or the kids before that we (they) were allergic to and I've always caught it before they were ingested. This time I didn't. My stomach is a cramped mess and I can feel the skin on my face getting tight. It's hot to the touch too. The hives are about to begin I think (just in time for my daughter's first band concert tonight and our family vacation tomorrow).

Don't depend on the doctors or pharmacists to catch this. I know from now on, I am going to refer to my allergies EVERY time a doctor hands me a prescription from now on. These things have slipped through way too often. This time, I didn't catch it.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP