Dad Gets Jail Cause Daughter Didn't Get GED

>> Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The judge in this case is catching a lot of flack if my research over the net on all the news agencies that have picked up this story is any indication.

Here's the short summary: Daughter was supposed to earn a GED. She didn't. She skipped school, etc. They would drop her off at school and she'd just go out another door. Dad had custody but she spent that time at her mother's house from what I understand. According to the report at FOXNews, the daughter would skip school when she was at her mother's. Dad may lose his job of which he's been at for 15 years because of this jail time.

So, why is dad in jail for six months because his almost 19 year old daughter didn't get her GED? What does that say about all the parents of all the high school dropouts around the country? Why aren't they all in jail? If the roles had been reversed - if mom had custody but she'd been at dad's, would mom be charged and sent to jail? I highly doubt it! In one article I read, the biological mother even admitted to her part in the blame for this yet dad sits in jail.

According to these statistics, more than one million high school students drop out of school each year. So are their parents going to be jailed each year because of it? I think not.

To read more from the Associated Press, click here.

The UK has even picked this up.

So, can he get a "get out of jail early" card? Sure, he can. If his adult daughter passes the math portion of her GED test. She is almost 19, has a child and is engaged! Do I think she should get her GED? Of course! I think education is important. However, I don't think her father should be in jail because she didn't.


This is the judge:
The Judge in This Case

Prosecuting Attorney of Butler County, Ohio: Robin N. Piper

If you'd like to let them know how you feel about this, here ya go:

Phone: 513.887.3474

Mailing Address:
Butler County Prosecuting Attorney
P.O. Box 515
Hamilton, OH 45012

Office Location:
Butler County Government Services Center
315 High Street - 11th Floor
Hamilton, OH 45011

You have drug dealers, child molesters, rapists, murderers and this judge puts a dad in jail and won't let him out early unless his ADULT daughter passes the math portion of her GED test. Do my Ohio state tax dollars pay for this judge?

Education is very important to me. I expect my kids to graduate and I expect them to go onto college. I hope they will in any event. While they live under my roof, they WILL be in school. There are no negotiations on that. However, given the dropout rate across this country, why is this one dad being picked out of the million other parents to serve jail time when his daughter is now an adult?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP