Stress Symptons in Young Children

>> Saturday, May 3, 2008

I've been reading information on stress/anxiety in kids since my daughter has an anxiety disorder and my stepdaughter showed a lot of symptoms when she was in this age group. I thought I'd share some of the symptoms here, starting with the youngest age group first.

Age 1-6 Years:


  • Sleep Disturbances - Nightmares (my stepdaughter had night terrors)
  • Regression
  • Fear of Death
  • Separation anxiety
  • Physical symptoms such as stomach aches and headaches. We went through this with my stepdaughter when there were some "issues" shall we say when she was in this age group. She had stomachaches during transitions and didn't want to leave us. We knew why she was having them but couldn't get her mother to listen to anything we had to say. You should've seen the physical tests this poor little girl was put thru (think of enemas and stuff!). We had to go to my stepdaughter's pediatrician because of that ourselves and he immediately handed her mother a referral to a therapist. The counselor determined WE weren't the problem and I'll just leave it at that...let you figure out on your own who the problem was.
  • Uncharacteristic neediness and crying. We saw this in my stepdaughter as well.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP