Video Game Household Rules

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My son is a huge video game fanatic. He loves everything "video" but I think kids spend too much time in front of a television or video game system and not enough time in their own imagination (like they could with these toys from Mighty World Toys).


We have video game rules in place in our home (that my stepson didn't agree with and the ex thought we were "too strict" for having). We were just so mean to expect our children to follow rules!

For one, there are no video games during the school week, only on the weekend. They can do homework, read, or play outside.

Another rule is that if you break the household rules, you lose your video game system. I have no qualms about taking the systems and all the games that go with it and putting them in a closet somewhere until the punishment is over. I've done it before. Such a mean stepmom and mom I am eh?

Finally, we only allow certain rated video games be played. There is nothing teen or mature rated in our home at this time. I don't believe the cleavage, shooting, and blood is appropriate at my children's ages. Despite this, it didn't stop the ex from allowing my stepson to bring his inappropriate games to our home during visitation way before he was a teen (you can imagine the problems it caused).

Here are some other rules from Parenting.org. They give some guidelines on things to consider for children.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP