Buying Extras for Stepkids

>> Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I was wondering who here is in a household that pays child support AND buys clothes for their stepkids? I guess I could post a poll, but thought I'd just write a post instead!

We have always paid child support. It's a given and that isn't going to change. When the kids were younger, we also bought them clothes as well. It's not that the ex didn't buy for them as well but it was easier for us to keep clothes for the kids here after I was basically accused of taking my then toddler stepdaughter's black stretch pants by the ex AND her sister. After several phone calls from them, and my looking all over the house again to shut them up (even though I KNEW I packed them in my stepdaughter's bag), they never did apologize for hassling me even though my stepdaughter showed up wearing them on the next weekend. That was the first time I was accused of doing something I didn't do but if you're an unhappy person, I guess some people just can't help themselves.

Plus, she'd send the kids over in their dirtiest and ugliest clothes when we had something special going on (like pictures). We got their pictures taken in those dirty clothes and sent them around to family - - if she didn't mind it looking like she kept the kids in rags, then ok, lol. When we didn't have anything going on, they'd be in cute little matching outfits. Go figure, huh? Who knew when you married a man with kids to make an instant stepfamily that the hassle would go on for years and years.

I would buy my stepdaughter the most adorable little girls dresses. After realizing they were never wearing any of the clothes we bought for them if we sent them home to the ex's house, we started keeping them at our house and a wardrobe was born.

Now that they're teenagers and we rarely see them, I don't keep clothes for them here. It'd be a waste of money. We might pick up a t-shirt or something to send to them, and include some clothes to open at the holidays, but that's the extent of our clothing shopping for them.

3 comments:

Life of a Stepmama July 16, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

We have an entire wardrobe for SS. He is 2, and even though we pay $1200 a month in child support we also pay for all this clothes, diapers, toys, car seat, and stroller for both our house and the BF's parents house. The SS lives in another state so every month we fly to go visit him and luckily are able to stay with the BF's parents. The BM always gives him to us in dirty clothes, we have him for 6 weeks in the summer and still pay her child support and an extra $800 a month for daycare while he is with us. It is completely unfair and what 2 year old costs someone $1200 in a small town??????

Syn July 16, 2009 at 10:13 AM  

I think I'd throw up on a monthly basis if I were you, especially paying the ex while the child isn't even with her. DH's ex has to reimburse him the child support when the kids are with us for more than six nights. If things were fair, she'd have to PAY him child support while the kids were here too:)

Life of a Stepmama July 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM  

I know it makes me sick!! We need to look at getting that changed, it is completely not fair and at most if the BM takes advantage of her two weekends she gets out of the 6 weeks we are talking about 5 days out of 42 so she should be paying him child support. It is complete CRAP!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP