My Support Countdown Hit a Milestone Today

>> Thursday, July 9, 2009

We are at three years and 11 months exactly on when we can look for a house large enough to fit us all comfortably. That coincides with the end of child support where you will find me doing a BIG happy dance. It's not like I'm wanting to buy a jewelry box full of yellow gold diamond necklaces (though one would be nice). We are crammed into this house (four kids and two adults and then the two stepkids when they decide to grace us with their presence).

I know it is in the best interests of the children to receive child support and I think both parents SHOULD be financially responsible for supporting their children. My problem is with accountability and the unfair tax advantages the ex gets. Hubby pays taxes on his income and then hands it over to the ex (who it is tax free for). Then, she gets the tax deductions for two kids on top of it! Even when hubby paid part of their child care, when they required child care, he didn't get the child care credit either. Some states require both parents to alternate on the tax advantages on a yearly basis. The county where my husband's court order is says the ex would have to agree to it. Good thing I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

2 comments:

Smirking Cat July 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

I agree both parents should be financially responsible for the children. My issue is that the father, in most cases, becomes nearly exclusively responsible, and there is no accountability to ensure that child support is devoted to the kids. When the ex suddenly shows up in expensive-but-bad highlights after getting her check, we know the kids are not being taken care of as intended.

Life of a Stepmama July 13, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

I completely agree, in my situation the father pays for all the child costs, on top of paying for his medical, 1/2 of all doctor visit copays and 1/2 for prescription drugs. It is basically costing him $1600 if you include taxes, then he pays $400 a month to fly out and visit him. The BM claimed she was going to rotate years but now is claiming the son every year and refuses to agree. It is complete crap and she only ever gets the benefit. My BF started a college fund for his son and supposedly the mother (BM) agreed to pay 1 year herself and split a year wtih the BF, YEAH RIGHT! She should have to pay taxes on that child support money because it is income for her or the BF should get the tax break since he pays all the money. I swear the laws are so backward for fathers who want to be involved. It is insane

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP