Loving A Step

>> Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Are you supposed to love your stepchild? Is your stepchild "required" to love you? Is that putting an unfair burden on a step-parent and step-child (and another pressure on your marital relationship that doesn't need to be there)? Let's face it, blending a family is much harder than if it was just your biological children and you. Second families face the same pressures as first families but more when you add in stepchildren and the multitude of problems with them, step-parents, different personalities, different holiday traditions, the financial pressure of supporting two families, adding an "ours" child(ren), and difficult ex's (or if you're lucky, cooperative ex's).

From a step-parents standpoint, that child is not your biological child. The natural and instinctive nature of a biological parent to love their child (most bio-parents anyway), is natural for most people. If you have developed a loving relationship with your step-child(ren), that is wonderful for both the step-parent and step-child(ren). However, if you haven't, don't feel guilty. You do not have to love your step-child. If your spouse expects you to love his/her child, have a talk with him/her; go to counseling if necessary. That's a pressure on the step-relationship that isn't necessary. What is necessary is that the step-parent and step-child respect each other while in the step-parent's household and treat each other fairly.

From a step-child's point of view, a step-parent is not a biological parent and unless the biological parent is unfit, neglectful, or abusive, you will never replace a biological parent's place in your stepchild's heart, nor should you try (or want to). If a step-child comes to love you, that is a wonderful gift. Don't push them to love you and don't make them call you something (mom/dad) they aren't ready or don't want to call you (and may never call you). Whether they call you by your first name, by "mom" or "dad", or by a combination of both doesn't really matter and should be left up to them.

If you give it time and work together, your relationship with your step will form on its own.

5 comments:

Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! I have a 4 yr old SD who I have been trying to push myself to love and I have found I just can't! I care about her, but I just can't seem to love her. I have spoken with my DH about this and he thinks that I am just not trying hard enough? His most common comment is "She loves you, so why can't you love her?" I have told him that she may love me, that is fine, but I am not her bio-mom and didn't give birth to her so I don't HAVE to love her. I am totally going to show him this blog when I get home...

Syn December 29, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

You're welcome. I think by pushing yourself, or being pushed, it might only lead to resentment which will certainly not benefit the child in any way. You care about your stepdaughter and if you treat her right, then that's great! At four years old, appropriate behavior will ensure she doesn't realize that you just don't love her the way she loves you (yet). Time may be all you need w/o the pressure for a deeper bond. Perhaps love will form on its own if its allowed to. Unless you're pushing her away from hugs and hurting her, I think hubby needs to lessen the pressure and let things form on their own.

I used to spend Friday evenings with my stepdaughter when she was four doing crafts together when the younger kids went to bed and hubby was at work. We also made cakes together, did hair, nails, etc. It was great bonding time. I loved her and she loved me almost automatically so it wasn't an issue between us. It's been more an issue between my stepson and I - there is not (and likely never will be at this stage) a parent/child bond between us and I met him when he was a baby! I care about him, take care of him, want what is best for him, and would protect him in my care as my husband's son, but I'm not his mother.

I know how I am - if somebody is pushing me, or telling me to do something, I go the other way. I am an honest, caring, fair-minded person and I don't need people telling me how to behave, lol.

Anonymous December 30, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

I try to do things with her but thanks to her mothers lack of discipline she can sometimes become an unholy terror that just ends up putting me in the looney bin for the next 24 hours. I think she also has abandonment or attachment issues because she refuses to be more than 4 inches from her dad. We are talking trying to go into the bathroom with him even though it will only take him a second to pee and come back. She has a serious attitude and is very manipulative for a 4 year old. So i try to spend time with her and bond but sometimes it gets to the point where its unbearable and I have to remove myself from the situation! I think this has a lot to do with the difficulty I am having in loving the child. But for DH's sake, I keep trying even though some days it seems like I am sacrificing my sanity, lol.

Anonymous April 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM  

I am soooo with you on this one!

Love doesn't come to order, and especially when a competitive mother has not given a child permission to be comfortable or like his or her stepmother, it can be very, very hard to love a child not your own.

I love two of my stepsons (who love and act mostly lovingly towards me) and don't love the third (who really doesn't want my love anyway) and as long as I treat them all fairly and kindly, I think that's enough.

I've just found your blog, by the way, and am really enjoying it - thanks!

Anonymous August 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM  

I need to tell me that every day- I dont need to love her.And when she behaves like a brat, trying to manipulate and treat her dad as a slave, I am allowed to walk away.I dont need to try to change things that are obviously wrong .I dont need to listen to her loud demanding voice giving comments to him - I give myself allowence to walk away- with ear plugs in my ears.
All I need to take care of are my children and myself.
That moment the annoying behavious starts again, I leave him to deal with her.As if I stay engaged I will loose respect and risk to loose my love for him.
I am kind and nice to her when she behaves appropriate and if not I choose not to be around her.Dad can deal with all that as he chooses to support the bad manners many times.
Thanks for this article, sets me free in a way:))

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP