Custodial Parents

>> Monday, April 21, 2008

I've seen and heard a lot over the years that has astounded me. I've watched kids get pulled in two unnecessarily. Do you think that doesn't have any long-term consequences? Doing what is best for the kids should ALWAYS be the priority. Here's what I think:

  • When your children leave to go with the other parent, don't stand forlornly behind acting like you are being left out, alone and unhappy. Don't make your children feel they are hurting you by wanting to spend time with their other parent. Make sure that you have a life that continues even after your children leave you and reassure your children that you do. Go out with friends, take classes, do something for yourself. Children will worry about you if they think you are at home and miserable without them. It isn't their responsibility to ensure your happiness. Get a life!
  • When your child's other parent is picking up or dropping off the children, be friendly. You don't have to be friends, but don't act like you're meeting your enemy. Children can feel tension though you may not realize it.
  • Encourage your child's relationship with their other parent. The parent-child relationship has nothing to do with the relationship you had with that parent. Don't confuse the two.
  • Encourage your child's relationship with a new step-parent. This person will have an impact on your child regardless of your feelings. This person will most likely be responsible for your child's welfare at times. You wouldn't refuse to talk to or get to know a caregiver you hire. Why would you refuse to be civil to a step-parent?
  • Respect the time your child spends with his/her other parent. Do not try to interfere with or cancel that time. Your child needs that time with his/her other parent. Don't make visitation difficult for your child's other parent to exercise. It isn't your time to interfere with - it's the child's time.
  • If you have one of those every other weekend, two hours a week visitation schedules and your child asks to spend more time with their non-custodial parent, ALLOW IT. It is what they need or else your child wouldn't ask. It does not reflect on you or their love for you in any way. Don't be so unyielding that you won't allow a minute over what the court order states. Do you really think a bunch of people who don't know your child knows what is best for your child? Most orders are "generic". There is a "standard" because it is easier for the agency to enforce the order (should it come to that); if most orders are the same, they don't have thousands of different parenting time schedules to review each time something occurs. It saves them time! This isn't my view...this is straight from an employee of Michigan's family court agency. I had one employee there tell me that if we can work it out between the parties, don't let the Court decide for you. They're right. It is the bitter person who denies their child more time with their other parent without good reason.
  • A child has the capacity to love many people. Because he/she loves his other parent, his stepparent, his half-sister, stepbrother, etc., does not mean that he/she loves you less. It isn't a bad thing to have so many people loving your child. You should be proud that your child is that lovable! You should be happy that your child is so cared for! Would you rather he be unloved/neglected when he is at the other parent's home? How would it make your child feel if his/her other parent ignored them? How would it make your child feel if his/her stepparent ignored them or treated them differently than their step or half siblings? Do you want your child to feel that hurt because that is exactly what they will feel if this happens?
  • Do not ask your child questions about the other parent's home, personal life, etc. It isn't your child's responsibility to provide this to you and it isn't any of your business.
  • Even though you may not like the new person in your ex's life, recognize that person for what they contribute to helping to raise your child. They do have an influence on your child's life whether you want to admit that or not. Constantly excluding them or ignoring them is petty. If you are old enough to be responsible for a child's life, you are old enough to act like an adult. You are a role model for your children. Is this how you would want them to behave?
  • Get to know your child's stepparent if they have one. This person will have influence on your child's life and ignoring that fact will not make it untrue. This may be the person who will help care for them should something happen to you. As a biological parent myself, I couldn't imagine why I wouldn't want to know a person who would have so much influence and contact with my child. Why wouldn't I want to know the person who is fixing meals for my child, drying their tears when I'm not there, and helping to tuck them into bed at night when they aren't with me? You would take the time to get to know your child's day care provider and teacher...why not a step-parent? If you think a stepparent doesn't have any influence on your children or any responsibility for their care, you are choosing to stick your head elsewhere!
  • If your child's other parent can't afford to provide a few extras (or just hasn't), send a few of your children's things with your child that will remain at the other parent's home. It will make your child feel more comfortable when he/she goes there. Having a few extra sets of clothing at the other parent's home will make your child feel good and will reduce the hassle of having to make sure clothes are washed and packed for your child's departure to their other home. (When we did this, it was a great relief not to have that bag going back and forth and made the kids feel like they had a home with us too.)
  • Involve your child's other parent. You want to pierce your daughter's ears? Talk to the other parent. You want to enroll your child in a sport? Let the other parent know and offer their involvement in the practices, games, etc. Send copies of the game or practice schedule to the other parent. Keep the other parent updated on the child's activities, school (send copies of report cards, school newsletters, graded assignments). Offer to allow the non-custodial parent take the child to his next medical check-up instead of you. Is there a school field trip coming up? See if your child's other parent would like to take them this time instead of you. It could make a world of difference in the relationship you have with your child's other parent (and will mean much more to your child). That will make a world of difference to your child.
  • Put yourself in the non-custodial parent's shoes. How would you feel if you could only see your child on a very limited schedule, with little decision-making ability, and little (or no) involvement in their daily lives. If you couldn't see them every morning when you wake, how would you feel? How would you feel if you had to send support to the other parent but had no control over how it was being spent on your child? If you take advantage of our messed up family law system, don't act surprised to feel resentment from the non-custodial parent. Because the adult relationship did not work, he/she has lost a lot of his parent-child relationship rights and responsibilities. It doesn't have to be that way. It is up to you to make sure it isn't. Your children deserve that.

Being a parent is about giving your child the best of what you are capable of giving them in order for them to grow to be healthy (emotionally and physically), loving, happy, responsible adults. Denying a child the opportunity to be mutually raised by their other loving, responsible parent because of your own insecurities and bitterness is horrid. Using the law's inefficiencies to further your revenge against the other parent is the worst way to parent your child. You may be capable in every other way of parenting your child, but when you deny them (or interfere with, or have little regard for) the love they need from the other parent and their other family (yes, they do have another family beside you), you are denying them the most important part of themselves - they are half of that other parent too.

6 comments:

Anonymous April 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

beautiful!! i wish every custodial parent could live by this!!

Syn April 20, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

So do I. I've wished it for more than 13 years now but have given up hope of ever seeing it happen for us personally.

Thanks for commenting!!

Sabrina February 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM  

I am a step parent, we won custody of my husbands son about 3 years ago.(my step son is 6 years old)
His bio mother refuses to talk to me yet I am the one caring for her son all day and all night. I send her pictures and updates and have her son draw cards for her though he is really not in the mood to do so.
How can I make her understand that this will hurt her son in the long run? I understand she is hurt because her son is not with her anymore but we did what we thought was best for my stepson and the Judge agreed very quickly. He sees is bio mother 1-2 times a year (about 7 weeks total) and often she cancels parenting time. My stepson thinks this is my (and my husbands fault) and he is so very confused. We would not bad mouth her even though it would be the truth. She on the other hand tells him he must not listen to me (which makes everything harder) and she never tells him the reason why she wont come get him. He will start counseling soon to help him. I have him everyday, do all the things I do with my other two kids...he is mine, though I did not carry him (which he knows)yet she wont talk to me...

Anonymous September 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

What if it's the other way around? I am custodial parent and my ex and his wife refuse to speak to me, even going as far as blocking me from facebook and other sights. I have tried to create a friendly relationship with both without any sucess. I am just told that I know nothing and none of what happens is my business. My ex doesn't even ask to see our son on any other day and sticks to seeing him every other weekend. He tried to make me do all of the driving instead of splitting it half way (we live 45 min apart). I am hit with rude comments when my son is sick and I'm not comfortable sending him over there but they can see him next weekend or sometime during the week....I'm just at a loss with this situation and my son will be 3 soon.

Syn September 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

Anonymous, I would keep it more of a "business civil" relationship honestly at this point. It's friendly but not personal; it is about the topic for lack of a better word (your child) and nothing else. Getting too friendly might make the other parent, and his wife, a bit uncomfortable. Honestly, I wouldn't want the ex on my facebook, or my husband's facebook, at this point because we don't have a good history with the ex. Facebook, and other sites, have nothing to do with parenting the child so it isn't necessary. They may see it as an intrusion into their personal life (status updates, pictures, etc. are personal). If I wasn't friends with the ex, I certainly wouldn't want her having access to personal info. on me and my family on internet sites. My or my husband's facebooks really are none of the ex's business.

When my stepkids are sick, we actually preferred not to exercise parenting time because 1) what kid wants to get hauled from one place to the next when they feel awful, and 2) we have other kids and don't see the point of transferring germs around. Of course, we would also to the same when one of our own kids were sick so we weren't getting my stepkids sick. As long as the ex was agreeable to switching a weekday sick day for another weekday visit and a sick weekend for the next weekend, this was fine with us. However, the ex couldn't deny us parenting time based on the child being sick. It was ultimately up to us. If it were me, I would ask your ex does he prefer the child come to him sick or would he prefer to make up that parenting time on another weekday (if it were weekday time) or another weekend (if it were the weekend). Otherwise, if there is a court order, I believe you do have to send your child unless the child is extremely sick. At least in our state you do. The best way to find out what you should be doing is to contact the enforcement agency who enforces your visitation order - they can tell you what you should be doing.

If your son is only three, give it time. Be friendly but not overly friendly. Keep it civil. Don't press for anything that doesn't immediately involve the child's well-being (health, school, etc.), like facebook for example. It may take a few years to work it out to where things aren't so hard. You can't change how your ex or stepmom behaves. You can't make him ask for more time outside the court order. You can be civil and keep things open for his contact with your son and that's about all you can do.

Anonymous February 20, 2011 at 7:31 AM  

I wish my ex and his wife would read this. When I go to pick up my children, he stands outside with his arms crossed, and glaring at me. If she's the one that I have to deal with, she yells at me at every opportunity, telling me what an awful parent I am because I always manage to do something wrong in her eyes. My ex even managed to ruin a trip I took to Disneyland with the kids because we weren't supposed to be even a minute late even with heavy traffic. My husband, the children's stepfather refuses to even talk to my older 3 children because they falsely accused him of abuse at their father's and stepmothers encouragement, and he doesn't want to be arrested or worse for something he didn't do.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP