Co-Parenting

>> Saturday, April 5, 2008

A child needs to feel love from both of their parents. It is to their benefit that their two parents can work together for the sake of their child and leave the relationship baggage in the past. Suggestions for co-parenting:


  • The focus is your child. The focus is not who was always working, who didn't help with chores, who didn't pay enough attention to the other, who did what, etc. while you were a couple.
  • Do not use your child to hurt the other parent.
  • Communicate in a positive manner.
  • Do not bring up the past. Your child is your future and that is all that matters.
  • Prepare your child for visits with the other parent. Be positive.
  • Encourage your child's relationship with their other parent.
  • Encourage your child's relationship with their step-parent(s) and other siblings. It is in your child's best interests to have a friendly (if not loving) relationship with their parent's other family members.
  • Be friendly to significant others in your ex's life. You don't have to like them but you don't need to show your kids that. They are a part of your child's life now. It is in your child's (and yours) best interests that you get to know this person. They may be spending a lot of time with your child, taking care of your child, etc. They will have an influence on your child whether you want to accept that or not.
  • Share information with the other parent, including school schedules, day care schedules, doctor appointments, extra-curricular activities, etc.
  • Communicate, communicate, communicate.
  • Share routines of the household (your child's bedtime routine, disciplinary styles if possible). Keeping consistency will help the children adjust.
  • Do not talk negatively about the other parent in front of the child.

1 comments:

Stick October 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

This is my bible! Always has been and always will. My son has a step mom and I encourage every bit of their relationship and involve her and my ex-husband in every moment of my son's life. Everything wasn't peachy all the time but I never EVER said anything negative about either of them to my son or within hearing distance of my son. And believe me if anyone else did (I can recall one such time), I put them in there spot ASAP! I'm also a step-mom to my husbands children. Their mom isn't anything like me. (Hence the divorce) She tells the children that she doesn't like us, she encourages the kids not to come with us, she needs to focus on the children not herself. We just bite our lips and go on. My children are my everything to me whether they are biological or not. In fact, I don't refer to them as my step-children (except in rare cases, like here). I think giving them a title like that makes them feel different, maybe not as special.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP