Teens Scared to Work?

>> Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A few months ago, I asked my 15 year old stepdaughter if she was going to get her first job soon (not to be mean or anything, lol, just curious as most teens do get a part-time job to pay for things they want). She's old enough to babysit and in a few months, she'll be old enough to work in restaurants and such. It turns out, she's not going to. Apparently, she won't babysit anybody but family because she's afraid the father of any child/ren she sits for may molest her. The same for working outside the house at say, McDonald's or something, other than with her mother. She's afraid. She will only work with her mother.

So, since she was a little girl, they (stepson too) have been afraid to leave their mother they said because their mother cried at home without them when they went to dad's house (therapists confirmed unhealthy behavior). Then they were being told our house had serial killer ghosts in it to scare them about going to dad's house. They've slept in their mother's bedroom (up until recently I've been told)...and I wouldn't doubt they still are. Now, my stepdaughter is saying she is afraid to work anywhere except for her mother.

See a pattern here?

Is your teen afraid to babysit outside the family? Is your teen afraid to work outside the family?

I babysat a couple dozen kids by the time I was her age. My first job outside of babysitting was at a Tubby's restaurant. Then, I worked two jobs (doctor's office after school and waitressing in a chinese restaurant after leaving the doctor's office and on weekends) while going to school and maintaining good grades. I had my own car and made my own car payments and insurance payments in high school. None of my kids are getting a free ride when it comes to cars and insurance. They want it? They work for it. I'm not sure if my stepdaughter's mother plans on buying my stepdaughter her car and paying for it for her. I know it's not something my husband or I will do for my stepchildren or our own children.

2 comments:

Jean9 June 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

Our children do have to learn that life is not a free ride. Too many young people have too much handed to them and then reality hits them when its time to make their own way in the world. I know that we as parents like to or would like to give our children all that we can, but its not a good life lesson for young people.

Syn June 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

I agree. I think a lot of kids today are handed so many things that 1) they think that is the way it is supposed to be...a right instead of a privilege and 2) are going to be in a for a shock when the real world doesn't hand them everything they want.

I worked for everything from the time I was old enough to work. I hope I can raise my kids to appreciate what they have and understand the value of working for what you want in life. Besides, I don't want my kids living off of me for years after they become adults, lol. They better know how to make their own way in the world or else I failed as a parent to prepare them propertly.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP