Teen Driving Laws in Michigan

>> Wednesday, June 11, 2008

There are two pending bills in Michigan right now that will impact teen drivers if passed. What is being proposed:

One is a "no talking on the cell phone while driving" law for teens. The other is no more than one other peer in the car while driving (statistics show crash risks go up five times for each additional passenger in the car for teen drivers). This would be until age 18. They are considering exceptions to this (such as driving friends home from school and parents/family member inclusion). Both of this, of course, are being proposed to limit distractions to the new teen driver.

Michigan has a graduated drivers license program right now. Level one and two restrict them from driving with peers and only between 5:00 a.m. and midnight until level three.

Statistics: 6,000 teen drivers are killed in crashes in the U.S. annually.

I know I am going to worry when my kids reach driving age. I also remember how I was at that age and the chances teens take because they don't think anything can go wrong...nothing can hurt them. The statistics show otherwise.

My stepdaughter is turning 16 this year. All I can say is she won't be driving my vehicle whether I am in the vehicle or not, lol.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP