What Stepmothers Can't Say

>> Tuesday, June 23, 2009

For all the things we do for children that aren't ours - chauffeuring, cooking, cleaning, bathing, laundering, etc. (really, the list is neverending)...we deserve a crown. When you add an ex who refuses to co-parent, or even be civil unless it makes her look good into the mix, I think I want Diamond necklaces too!

Seriously though, I found this article printed online at CNN of an article that appeared in Oprah's O Magazine about things you should never say as a stepmother. One point in it says not to say this:

  • #10 "What's the matter, never heard of thank you?"
    Don't become a stepparent expecting gratitude. (Don't become a parent expecting it, either.) While you shouldn't tolerate rudeness, choose your battles carefully. Kids generally don't have the best manners; they get preoccupied and forego social niceties. Don't be petulant; you're the grown-up.

I don't think it's about wanting gratitude. I think it's about expecting respect. I expect it of any child who comes into my home whether it is my own child, my children's friends, or my stepchildren. My stepkids don't get a free pass on manners because their parents divorced. I may not say it in exactly that same way but the point would be made.

If you don't have expectations for children, why should they have expectations for themselves?

2 comments:

Smirking Cat June 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM  

I disagree with this strongly. It's my JOB to teach the kids to be respectful, independent, productive individuals. Manners is a very basic part of this. It's idiotic to think my role as step-parent means accepting rudeness from anyone, especially the children I am helping to raise!

Syn June 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

I agree. I think many parents don't know how to parent anymore. They try to be friends with kids or worry about denying the kids whatever they want instead of parenting.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP