Keeping Up Contact Despite Seeing Any Response

>> Monday, January 25, 2010

Well, I just paid to renew the domain name and privacy registration for the web site we keep for my stepkids.  Even though I'd be surprised if they have looked at it more than once in the past year, maybe twice (but not likely), we keep it updated with notes to them because:

  1. We don't know if they get the emails or letters we send them because of some things the kids have said to us in the past about it.
  2. There is no way that when the kids are adults that they will ever be able to say that we didn't care about them.  We aren't the ones who have interfered in the parent/child relationship, in communications, or in the sibling relationships between our kids and them.  We aren't the ones who hang up the phone when the other home calls them.  We aren't the ones ignoring birthdays and other special days unless it benefits them in some way.  We keep the web site updated just for them with little messages and pictures with timestamps on everything so they'll have a "log" (for lack of a better word) over the years.  Even if they don't get letters or told about phone calls, we have this other means of communicating (if they care to go to the web site and see it). 
I guess I'll plan on paying for this domain name for at least the next 3-1/2 years - until they are both adults.

1 comments:

Sabrina February 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

How where hard it is to keep it up though! My stepson lives with us (me and his father have custody, he sees his biomother 1-2 a year) and I must almost force him to write a card. If I ask him to call her he says he does not want to (he is 6 years old). Also, it is never ever acknowledged which should not bother me...yet it does.
I take a bow! You do a wonderful job and I love your blog!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP