Texted Birthday Wishes

>> Saturday, November 21, 2009

It was what I expected - my stepdaughter texted her dad for his birthday. I was really hoping to see a card show up in the mailbox today. It could've been just a sheet of paper with "Happy Birthday" handwritten on it or even an ecard; just something that says 'I took more than ten seconds out of my day to think of you for your birthday.'

I know they do more for their mom for her birthday. Heck, they give their dog a birthday party!! Dad rates below the dog and yet they're emailing us their xmas lists? Coal sounds good for xmas this year.

3 comments:

Kiki21806 November 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

at least he got a text. For the first 5 years my DH didn't even get that.

Syn November 22, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

I thought of that but they actually take their dog OUT for the dog's birthday to some special place for pets but they can't even send their dad an ecard which is free. It's irritating to be just an atm machine.

Anonymous November 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

I noticed over the years that my stepkids did more for their Dad (increased the time they spent on his gifts) as I decreased the time that I spent on their gifts. It's like, they start to mature and think a bit more on their own and figure out there are consequences to their choices....oh yeah, we can't just blow off Dad again. However, my husband will probably always be a holiday mini-bank to them on some level....this is what their mother believes husbands and ex-husbands are for....so this is what they are taught is normal. It is unfortunate that I can't change the reality in their home, but the sooner I began to accept it, the more at peace I was. One day, they will grow up and have their own families and their own divorces to bear, and maybe they'll be smart enough to see all that you and your husband DID do for them, rather than all the materialistic things they kept wishing for. Those things won't make them happy anyway, you know that better than they do at this age. Be strong, it is more important to love and care for the ones around you. Be an example of a healthy family in your own home to the best of you ability. That example is ultimately the best lifelong gift you can give to your stepkids. You know that already, but sometimes it helps to hear it again and again.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP