Stepkids School Trips

>> Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My stepkids have school trips coming up within the next few weeks. Kids nowadays take REAL trips. I don't remember ever having the opportunity to take these kinds of trips as a kid.

One of my stepkids is going to Gettysburg (great history lesson). Another of my stepkids is going to Disney (what a fun trip!). I've never been to either place and certainly never had the opportunity for these types of trips as a kid from school. I wonder if my kids will have opportunities for trips like this when they are a little older (though how we could afford them is beyond me at this point). When my stepchild told me how much the ex paid for the school Disney trip, I think my mouth hit the floor!

I'd be worried about my kids the entire time - wondering if they were being chaperoned properly or that the chaperone was safe for them to be around to begin with (since you never know)!

I would imagine that the school has excellent travel medical insurance when taking children on long bus or airplane rides like this to cover unexpected illnesses or accidents, along with whatever other insurance schools carry. If they don't, I would imagine they offer it to the parents as part of the costs.

My oldest daughter has a camping trip through the school next month and that's only 30 minutes up the road. That's about as far as I want the school taking my kids at their age. My husband and I already did a drive-by to check the place out ourselves. It seems really nice. I hope she has fun but I know I'll be nervous until she's home. She can't take her cell phone either so that'll make it harder not being able to check in with her periodically. Oh well, I'm sure she'll have fun!

4 comments:

Devilish Southern Belle April 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

Sheesh, I never had the opportunity for such fun trips with school, either. As a parent, I can certainly understand your concern, though. I always worry about mine when they even go on vacation with their bio dad!

Just surfed in via On the Rocks, I'm out trying to expand my blog-reading horizons just a bit :)

Syn April 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM  

I remember a circus trip and that's about it. My mother never would have let me leave the state, let alone go to the other side of the states like my stepkids are (which surprises me because my husband's ex hates it when they leave her to come here, lol). I was happy when my mom gave me $ for a can of pepsi when I won the spelling bee...I couldn't imagine one of them giving me $1200 for a school trip! That was how much my first car cost (and I paid for that too myself, lol).

Smirking Cat April 24, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

I grew up in PA, so we went to Gettysburg so many times it became a joke, like "Oooh, we're going to Gettysburg...AGAIN." My parents simply said "no" when school trips were too expensive, and that was that.

Syn April 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM  

Sometimes I wonder, when this generation of kids grow up, what they will be like. Everything seems to be about instant gratification, no responsibility for themselves or their actions.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP