Stepkid Damage

>> Sunday, April 19, 2009

When the stepkids come, it never fails that my stepson will break something. It used to be household items but it was also in the form of punches at my children's nose or pummeling his sister into the ground, I'd say it's an improvement when it is furniture over one of my children! It used to be really bad. He couldn't control his temper when he was younger. We used to keep a log of all his violence and it was scary stuff! (Of course, we had no cooperation from the ex either.) I dreaded what chaos would come with each visit and slept with one eye open. Now that he is a little older, he has a better handle on his reactions to anger. It seems like now is more rough-housing and seeing that he's a big kid, his rough-housing can leave some damage too unfortunately.

My three-year-old's sleigh toddler bed now has a broken wood support under the mattress. Seems my large 13-year-old stepson thought it was ok to jump on it and oops, he went through it. Sometimes I have to wonder what goes through his head.

My three-year-old had a little hero worship going on of her big brother during this visit for the first time. Even at that, she still wasn't afraid to stand up to his remarks, etc. We were sitting in the living room and coming up the stairs is my three-year-old saying, "Z says I suck and I don't suck!!" She was adamant that she didn't suck!

We had a problem with his language a few times during the visit. I had dad talk to him a couple times but it didn't seem to process because as soon as adults were out of hearing range, words my younger kids didn't need to hear spewed from his mouth ("white %itch" and "stupid a$$"...things like that) so they would come to me to tell.

By the end of the visit, my three-year-old, who actually bonded to my stepson unexpectedly this visit, had had enough too. After a week of him rough-housing with some of his sisters (sitting on them, wrestling, etc.) and teasing her personally, she couldn't take anymore I guess. The last time he sat on my oldest daughter (who already had a bruised arm and wrenched knee from his "play") the day they were to leave, my three year old told him not to do that and took a swing at him - in the nads.

My kids don't rough-house like that. I can remember as a kid, my brother would sit on our heads and pass gas or hold us under the covers after gassing it up, or tickle until I wanted to cry, etc. My kids don't do any of that stuff. Their brother's visits are always an experience for them (and me to tell you the truth). I am exhausted!

2 comments:

MammaDawg April 21, 2009 at 2:07 AM  

O.M.G.

Girl - how do you deal with it all???

Syn April 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM  

Believe it or not, it is actually better. It used to be REALLY horrid - chaos, worry, anger. I was always on edge watching ss to keep my kids safe. I should find the log we kept and post some of the things ss used to do.

The long distance, while it presents its own hassles, also has been better because: 1) we don't have ss here as often so the threat has been minimized; and 2) because ss isn't here often, his mother has laid off of the stepkids so they aren't being emotionally torn between the two homes. He has less anger (which he directed at my kids in order to keep a wall between him and I to please his mother (what better way to ensure a wall was up than to hurt my kids).

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP