Stepkids are coming for spring break

>> Sunday, March 1, 2009

My stepkids are coming for Spring Break. They will be here for a week. My kids are very excited and can't wait to see their siblings.

I am already starting to think about menus since my stepdaughter is a vegetarian and the last couple of times they were here, our grocery bill went into the $400/week range! I really need to find a way to stock my kitchen for six kids (two of them teenagers) without breaking our budget. We broke it last year during their visits - broke it, stomped on it, and destroyed it.

Since they will be here for Easter, I also have to plan Easter baskets...not that they believe in the Easter Bunny anymore. My kids do though so it'll be Easter baskets for everybody!

I also have to get my husband's car fixed before then so he can make the trip to pick them up and return them. The car has been sitting in the driveway for months because we haven't been able to afford to get it fixed. He's been using mine for work and since he works an odd shift, it's worked out ok. However, I don't want to be left without a vehicle all day long when he goes to pick up his kids in case we have an emergency with one of our kids. I don't have family in this state to rely on so I really have to have a vehicle available to me. I can't just call him if he's a couple hours away if there is an emergency and I need the car. I have to figure out where to squeeze that into the budget.

Everything always comes down to money.

3 comments:

diane March 3, 2009 at 2:59 AM  

I don't know what it will cost to fix your husband's car but you might want to check the option of renting a car for a day or two. Might be cheaper.

Smirking Cat March 3, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

It sure does. Our grocery bill has skyrocketed, and I am on the hunt for cheaper but healthier meals for the kids and for us. My car has an attitude problem too. I keep threatening it that it can be replaced with a shiny red Mustang, but so far it hasn't changed its attitude!

Syn March 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

My husband is trying to talk me into selling both of our cars and getting one new car instead. While I like the idea of having one new car (with a warranty), we can't afford the higher car payment. He doesn't think about money. He just "wants" so he thinks he should "have". LOL. He thought getting rid of two of our car payments and exchanging it for one car payment would be cheaper...um, nope. To get a new vehicle that will fix 8, it'd be a couple hundred more a month than what we pay now.

We had a fitness meeting last night that the YMCA put on for all the local schools' 4th graders who wanted to sign up. Our pediatrician gave the speech for it and he talked about how much more expensive it is to eat healthy than it is to eat unhealthy.

LOL @ threatening that your car can be replaced with a shiny new Mustang. I'd like to replace mine with the Trans Am I used to have with t-tops. Back in the day when I used to dress "young" and take the t-tops off and flirt with the truckers that I could see thru my roof at stop lights, lol. Of course, I couldn't dress or flirt like that anymore, but I don't know where I'd put all the kids though, lol.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP