Nasties at McDonalds

>> Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A couple of weeks ago, I bought Happy Meals from McDonald's for my kids through the drive-thru - four of them (three cheeseburger happy meals and one double cheeseburger mighty kids meal). While eating one of the cheeseburgers, my daughter bit into something hard. We were shocked to see her pull out something from her mouth that shouldn't have been there:



In this picture, you can see the two pieces against a white piece of paper. The little yellowish spot toward the top is the cheese that was on it when my daughter pulled it out of her mouth (yak, yak). This was in her cheeseburger! She could have choked. She could have broke her braces on this. If it had been one of my younger kids, they could have easily choked. How the heck does something like this get ON the cheeseburger? I don't even know what this is. It is smooth on one side and rough on the other.

I contacted McDonald's online and left my complaint. They responded back asking for the address of the McDonald's I was at (I'd given them the name of the city, not the specific address with my first contact online with them) and I supplied it. I never heard a word since!

What kind of customer service is this that they don't respond to a complaint such as this?

I haven't eaten there since. I haven't bought food for my kids there since. If I have my way, my kids will never eat at another McDonald's during the rest of their childhood after finding crap in a cheeseburger and their unsatisfactory customer response.

I knew their food wasn't the healthiest for my kids, though my kids enjoyed the treat of going sometimes (what kid doesn't?) but I didn't realize it could be fatal for them to bite into a cheeseburger and choke on something that isn't supposed to be there.
Edited 8/31/08: McDonalds finally called (after I sent them a link to this post). I guess the thought of getting publicity was enough to get them to call. Well, after almost three weeks of no contact, until I made my complaint public, I could care less what they have to say at this point. They should have responded three weeks ago and gave some indication that they cared about what happened rather than just caring after they get bad publicity. I wish there was someplace I could send a piece of what was in the cheeseburger so I could find out what it was.

9 comments:

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 1:10 PM  

There are many good reasons to keep away from McDonalds; this is just one of them. Many parents introduce their children to Mcdonalds then can't understand when their kids refuse to eat anywhere else. Just say, "no", keep on driving, and go somewhere else. If they insist that McDonalds is the only place for a favourite treat, it is your fault for going there in the first place. Kids don't drive themselves there.

Anonymous August 26, 2008 at 10:13 PM  

So many good reasons to eat at McDonald's - you people are just a bunch of whining punks. Sure, if you want to pay $15 to eat at friggin applebees or longhorn, then go ahead, but at least McD's is affordable and actually tries to serve healthy food (salads, fruit cups, grilled chicken). I guess you got nothing better to do than post your stupid complaints online. Pathetic.

Erika Jean August 27, 2008 at 1:38 AM  

i wonder if its super baked on grease and gunk form the "grill" that flaked off?? ew yuck

Syn August 27, 2008 at 6:35 AM  

Erika: I'm not sure. It is smooth and flat on one side so the smooth side could have sat on the grill. It's flexible but hard. It's odd. I don't know what it is. Just gross and hard when bitten into.

Anonymous#1: I agree...many good reasons to keep away from McDonalds. My kids didn't live there for their meals (ugh...I couldn't stomach it that often), that's for sure but they did enjoy the occasional trip. That will be one drive-thru I will be avoiding from now on. Believe me, they've asked since then.

Anonymous#2: You think McDonalds is good for you? Are you young or perhaps you work for them (or won't cook yourself and fool yourself into thinking their food is good for you)? 95+ percent of their food is not good for you. Are they finally getting around to my complaint and sent you? You say I have nothing better to do than post stupid complaints yet you obviously have nothing better to do than leave inane comments calling pepole names (which makes me think you are too young to know better). Why shouldn't I when the company ignored me for weeks and wouldn't respond to something being found in my child's cheeseburger? I gave them a chance. Rather than react as you did with name-calling, I will keep my opinion of you to myself and be the adult here. One of us has to be.

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 11:19 PM  

This is for anonymous #2:

Try looking up the nutritional values of McDonald's supposedly healthy food. You might be surprised...

Anonymous August 28, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

I don't like McDonalds, but have to share from my experience: I once bit something hard in a sausage at a restaurant and complained to the restaurant owner. When I got home and brushed my teeth, I learned the hard object was a tooth filling that had fallen out. Lesson: Get all facts before making judgments.

Syn August 28, 2008 at 1:45 PM  

I wish this could have been something that could have come from my daughter's mouth instead of what looks like a roof shingle. No confusing that piece of whatever it was with something that belongs in her mouth.

Anonymous April 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

I worked at a McDonald's for 4 years and let me just say two things;
1)NEVER eat there...seriously. The things that pass for sanitary in those places is disturbing.
2)It was probably a piece of spatula. To be more specific, a breakfast spatula.
During the breakfast most use a Teflon spatula for the eggs, if there's was old and "flaked" as Teflon is known for doing. And if they didn't scrape down the grill well enough (suprise, suprise) that would explain it.

For real though, never eat there...ew. Working there is one of the biggest catalysts for me becoming a vegetarian.

Syn April 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

A piece of spatula!! I think you're right! I couldn't figure it out all this time but I think you did. I still have the pieces. They didn't break down or anything so I knew they weren't a food product. McDonalds wouldn't return any of my emails until I publicized it here. By that time, I was too ticked off and ignored them.

I know what you mean about not eating there after working there. I worked in a sub place when I was in high school. I couldn't walk into that chain again after that. I also had a boyfriend once tell me when he was in high school working at a fast food chain, they used to spit in the food before they served them when they did fast food. Really gross.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP