Stepson's Grades

>> Sunday, December 7, 2008

Well, my stepson is doing the same thing this year that he did last year - letting his grades fall to almost failing. Coming from a kid who was several grade levels ahead of his classmates a few years ago, and knowing his mother hasn't done anything again this year to help him (get him an IEP, get him therapy, ensure he is doing his homework), it's so frustrating to see this woman with custody of the kids let a very smart young man's grades go to hell. Why doesn't she care more to do something?

It appears that we are going to have to do what she won't do, which is nothing new. We are the ones who previously took him to a child psychologist, speech therapy, and occupational therapy before. She never even attended any of those sessions herself! I, the hated wife of her ex, drove him an hour each way into the city for his therapies, therapies his mother never attended. Gosh, I'm such a rotten stepmom AND kept her fully updated with notes from the sessions I took and copies of every thing they worked on while there. I'm so awful aren't I? I dread having to go through this again because she's not a pleasant person to deal with but damn! Do something for your kid already! Maybe if we "suggest" a change in custody because she's letting him fail, she'll pretend to care enough to get him some help?

1 comments:

Michelle Roberts May 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

I see this is a really old post, but I HAVE to comment because of our similar predicament.

If it hasn't happened to you yet, what WILL happen, is that when the boy becomes a delinquent (or just unmanageable) and starts being suspended from school for behavior or grades, she'll get sick of him and let (read: MAKE) him live with you. AFTER she has ruined him by letting him get into horrible habits and letting his self-esteem slip into oblivion.

Maybe you'll be able to turn his life around for him, because you make the tough choices and do the hard work like she DIDN'T do. You will be despised by him for being so strict and nit-picky, for forcing him to do his homework and make good choices. She'll be the disneyland mom then, even though the whole situation was her fault the entire time. On the weekends he visits her, she will not make him do his homework, and will let him watch the movies with the sex, violence, and bad language that you would NEVER let him watch. She'll let him stay up/out late and he'll never have to do the dishes at HER house.

It's happening to me with my two youngest stepsons, now 15 and 17, and it SUCKS. I'm praying they'll understand when they're older. I don't even want a "thanks" or "I appreciate all that you did"... I only pray that some day they see the situation for what it really was.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP