Stressed Out Stepmom

>> Thursday, January 15, 2009

My TMJ is acting up. (Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome or TMJ joint disorders are related to the jaw joint...connects the lower jaw to the skull in front of the ear.) Most people get it from grinding their teeth at night or injury. I get mine from clenching constantly when I am stressed. Marrying a non-custodial father with a less than pleasant ex will do that to a person.

I have been able to manage my TMJ much better the last couple years and only have flare-ups when things come up with the stepkids and the ex. It's acting up now.

The ex called two days ago to see if we had copies of their son's ADHD diagnosis because she couldn't find hers (she's been a legal secretary for about 20 years and apparently she can't file correctly...go figure). I went into our files to get our paperwork to give her a copy and was reading through all the logs and doctor evaluations from all the behaviors that prompted the ADHD and ODD diagnosis - the anger and aggression towards my kids, doctor's reports, etc. It made me tense to remember all this crap and how many years it took us to get somebody to pay attention to my stepson and what my kids went through and lo and behold...my jaw has been aching again.

Stress can take a toll on your body whether it be in the form of autoimmune disorders, TMJ, insomnia, or something else. Everybody has their limits on how much stress they, and their bodies, can handle. My limits stop at the ex apparently.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP